Some memorable moments: a. Nirmala Chandran, the perfect hostess, b. an evening at a spa c. history visited in Jakarta's biggest muzium, d. The Chandrans' backyard.
What I liked:
- Hawkers and push-cart vendors selling simple foods along the roadsides, in every part of the city.
- Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenery! And what superb landscapists Indons are!
- First hand experience of religious tolerance.
- Appreciation by the people, of all their heritages that were there, through the ages.
- The food (Laguna, Stix, you have my vote!)
- The Spas!
- Beautiful Batik.
- The endearing language used by the locals, e.g. "Pecel Nasi Ayam Pete" is actually "Special Nasi Ayam Petai" for us in Malaysia.
What I loathed:
- The traffic and the narrow roads.
- The fact that my impecable Malay (so I say!), made me soooo Malaysian when I spoke that I was a tourist waiting to be taken for a ride despite what I thought was an advantage.
- Endless Security checks at the airport.
Verdict: DO VISIT!